Financial Aid Professional Judgment
Things change, life happens
Sometimes the information you provide on the FAFSA no longer accurately reflects your financial situation. There are certain circumstances in which financial aid at Headmasters School of Hair Design can review and update your FAFSA. This review of special circumstances is called a Professional Judgment.
A financial aid Professional Judgment is a way for students to explain changes to income, life circumstances, or unusual expenses not reflected on the FAFSA to see if it may result in a change to their federal aid eligibility. Typically, special circumstances that are considered under this process are unusual and must be thoroughly documented. Please view the information below to determine if a financial aid professional judgment will benefit you.
REASONS FOR REQUEST
The following conditions are examples of circumstances that may be considered for a Professional Judgment: *
- Loss or reduction of income including but not limited to, loss of employment, reduction of pay, death of a parent or spouse, and reduction/loss of child support
- Divorce or separation
- Non-recurring income
- Medical or dental expenses paid that exceed 11 percent of the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
- Being impacted by a natural disaster
- Dependency override
* To remain equitable, our office will review all applications on a case-by-case basis.
- Submitting a Professional Judgment request does not guarantee additional financial aid can be granted.
- You will need to provide adequate documentation for your appeal.
- The decision by the Financial Aid Office is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed annually; a student must resubmit a new Professional Judgment request with every FAFSA.
- It may take up to four weeks for a Professional Judgment request to be reviewed and processed.
Please note that if your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the FAFSA is "0," you are already receiving the maximum in federal grants, so this process cannot change your eligibility.
SUBMIT A REQUEST
To request a Professional Judgment:
- Submit the FAFSA for the aid year in which you are requesting a professional judgment. Note that you MUST include your actual income on the FAFSA; the Financial Aid Office will determine adjustments to income, if any.
- Complete and submit our Special & Unusual Circumstances Form. The form/instructions are available HERE.
Please reach out to the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com or 208-743-1512 with any questions regarding this process.